Lengerhane - Rahmi M. Koç Museum
Lengerhane (Anchor Casting Building), which was an establishment affiliated with Royal Shipyards in Hasköy was used in casting the large anchors used in the galleons of the Ottoman Navy. The building used also for other purposes for many years was given a new function with the initiative of Rahmi Koç in 1990s, transformed into a museum of industrial history.
The shipyard which would be located on the shore of the Golden Horn, one of those lying on various shore cities of the Ottoman Empire was started to be built in 1513. Work was started to add the Lengerhane to the shipyard buildings which started from Azapkapı extending to Hasköy in 1613.
After Selim III donated the shore section of the Tersane Palace for enlargement of the shipyard in 1792, the Lengerhane Building has taken its present appearance. However, there is no definite information on how the 1804 fire affected this structure.
Lengerhane is a square shaped building. It has a roof with a large dome in the middle and four small domes on the sides borne by four square shaped legs made of large cut stones. The building, which was given a new function as the Rahmi M. Koç museum by placing a three-storey steel construction with no connection with the main building inside the cube-like structure, has become a specimen bringing together traditions and contemporariness. In the other exhibition halls underground, the main wares of the post-industrial revolution technologies are on display. The museum also accommodates various specimens of land, sea and air vehicles and craft.