The first examples of applications of western city planning approach started in Beyoğlu. This place could become the starting point for westernizing of the region with its history, geography, ethnical and geographical properties. Thus reforms were to be started with. Beyoğlu was a chamber that opens to the world as a commercial centre with its harbor, docks and Golden horn. Furthermore its dominance of the Capital City and Bosporus had attracted all foreign embassies. The locals were rich and westernized.
The reforms started with regulations of Beyoğlu and Galata Offices, date December, 28 1857, "6. Municipality Office Regulations" and General Regulations of Beyoğlu and Galata Offices referred to as the 6th Office issued by the Municipality, date June, 7 1858. Beyoğlu was named as the 6th Office despite the fact that it was a first time implementation. The reason that it took this name was that the Municipality unit named as "Sixeme arrondıssement" (6. Precinct) after the "Sixeme arron dıssement" (6. Precinct) in Paris which was the most opulent part of the Municipal unit. The objectives of 6. Office was to organize commerce and to render European urban services.
As the 6. Office was founded; Mr. Mehmet Kamil was assigned as its head. He had relations with the diplomatic mission and with the foreigners. The decision of cleaning, organizing of the streets and construction of sever and water ways and providing some other services were implemented.
As the first task to be done, the cadastre maps of Beyoğlu and Galata have been drawn. Gardens for general use were organized and put to use in Taksim and Tepebaşı. A hospital was founded and the illumination of streets with gas-oil torches was commenced on Cadde-i Kebir (İstiklal Street).
With the regulations in 1959, the cleaning works of the streets were put in tender. The streets were divided into 3 classifications. 1. class street were cleaned on a daily basis, even twice during the summer, 3. class streets were cleaned once a week. The services mentioned were necessary for the elitist westerner section of Beyoğlu. The other sections especially sections like Kasımpaşa and Pangaltı were provided with no services as to cleaning and development.
The Municipality of Beyoğlu was founded in April 20th, 1924. Beyoğlu which included Beşiktaş, Şişli and Kemerburgaz during the first years of Republic became the basis of today’s Beyoğlu, with the separation of Beşiktaş in 1930 and its assignment under the supervision of Eyüp in 1936, and the founding of Şişli Borough in 1954.
In the year 1970, it was divided into boroughs. Beyoğlu which used to be managed by the regional offices until 1984 gained its current statue which was organized within the framework of “Local Administrations Code” issued for Metropolitan and Borough Municipalities in 1984 including 45 neighborhoods.
Municipality Building is at the intersection point of Yolcuzade İskender, Meşrutiyet and First Municipality streets at Şişhane Square. The building was erected during the mayor ship of Mr. Edouard Blacque (1879-1883). The architect is Barborini who caused İstanbul to have other buildings as well. The building having the view of Golden Horn and historic peninsula has also given its name to the neighborhood; The starting point of Meşrutiyet Caddesi was named as the "Office". The building was used as district administration in 1960s, it was converted into Municipality Directorate during 60s, and became the 'Beyoğlu Mayor ship Building' in 1984.
The building which was built on a vertical parcel has been built on a platform which can be accessed from Şişhane Square by stairs.