Information About City of Bucharest
- Bucharest is the capital municipality, cultural, industrial, and financial centre of Romania. It is the largest city in Romania, located in the southeast of the country,
- Bucharest was first mentioned in documents in 1459. It became the capital of Romania in 1862 and is the centre of Romanian media, culture and art. Its architecture is a mix of historical (neo-classical), interbellum (Bauhaus and Art Deco), Communist-era and modern. In the period between the two World Wars, the city's elegant architecture and the sophistication of its elite earned Bucharest the nickname of "Little Paris" (Micul Paris). Although buildings and districts in the historic city centre were heavily damaged or destroyed by war, earthquakes, many survived. In recent years, the city has been experiencing an economic and cultural boom.
- According to 2011 census, 1,883,425 inhabitants live within the city limits. According to unofficial data, the population is more than 3 million. Bucharest is the 6th largest city in the European Union by population within city limits.
- Economically, Bucharest is the most prosperous city in Romania and is one of the main industrial centres and transportation hubs of Eastern Europe. The city has big convention facilities, educational institutes, cultural venues, traditional "shopping arcades" and recreational areas.
- The city proper is administratively known as "The Municipality of Bucharest" (Municipiul Bucure?ti), and has the same administrative level as that of a national county, being further subdivided into six sectors.
- Mayor of Bucharest is Sorin Oprescu since 2008.
Bucharest Sector 1 became the twin town of Beyoğlu on 28th of March 2013.
- Sector 1 is a sector of Bucharest located in the northern part of the city.
- It contains also the northwestern districts of Baneasa and Pipera. Sector 1 is thought to be the wealthiest sector in Bucharest.
- The population of the district is 229,238.
- The surface area of the district is 67.5 km2
- The Mayor of the sector is Andrei Ioan Chiliman, from the National Liberal Party.
Mayor Of Sector 1 Bucharest Andrei Chiliman And His Delegation’s Official Visit To BeyoğluTwin Town Protocol between Beyoğlu Municipality and District 1 Municipality of Bucharest signed during the official visit of Mayor Chiliman and his delegation. Bucharest became the 11th twin town of Beyoğlu. The signature ceremony realized with the participation of Mayor of Beyoğlu Ahmet Misbah Demircan, Mayor of District 1 of Bucharest Municipality Andrei Chiliman, Consul General of Romania Stefana Greavu, Consul General of France Hervé François Magro and many invitees.
28-30 March 2013, Beyoğlu/Istanbul