Information About City of Mannheim
- Mannheim is a city which is located in southwestern Germany.
- It has approximately 315,000 inhabitants, it is the second-largest city in Baden-Württemberg, after Stuttgart.
- Mannheim is located at the confluence of the Rhine and the Neckar in the northwestern corner of Baden-Württemberg. The Rhine separates Mannheim from the city of Ludwigshafen, just to the west of it in Rhineland-Palatinate, and the border of Baden-Württemberg with Hesse is just to the north. Mannheim is downstream along the Neckar from the city of Heidelberg.
- Mannheim is unusual among German cities in that its streets and avenues are laid out in a grid pattern, leading to its nickname "die Quadratestadt" ("city of the squares"). The eighteenth century Mannheim Palace, former home of the Prince-elector of the Palatinate, now houses the University of Mannheim.
- The civic symbol of Mannheim is der Wasserturm, a water tower just east of the city centre.
- Mannheim is the starting and finishing point of the Bertha Benz Memorial Route.
- Square Measure of Mannheim is 144.96 km2’dir.
- Some important inventions were made in Mannheim.
- Karl Drais built the first two-wheeled draisine in 1817.
- Karl Benz drove the first automobile on the streets of Mannheim in 1886. At his workshop in Mannheim he produced a lightweight three-wheeled vehiclepowered by a single cylinder petrol/gasoline-fueled engine, first shown in public during 1886. This powered tricycle subsequently came to be widely regarded as the first automobile/motor car powered by an internal-combustion engine. Karl's wife Bertha Benz undertook the world’s first road trip by automobile from Mannheim to Pforzheim in August 1888.
- The Lanz Bulldog, a popular tractor with a rugged, simple Diesel engine was introduced in 1921.
- Karl Benz developed the world's first compact diesel-powered car at the Benz & Cie. motor works in Mannheim during 1923
- Julius Hatry built the world's first rocket plane in 1929.
- Peter Kurz(SPD) is the Mayor of Mannheim since 2007.
Main Sights of Mannheim
- Fernmeldeturm Mannheim
- Synagoge Mannheim – Post-WWII synagogue
- Yavuz Sultan Selim Mosque
- Luisenpark – named one of the most beautiful parks of Europe
- Mannheim Palace (Mannheimer Schloss) – the city castle and main building of the University of Mannheim
- Wasserturm – the town's landmark water tower
- Jesuit Church
- SAP Arena – multifunctional Stadium, home of Mannheim's ice-hockey team "Die Adler" ("The Eagles")
- Breite Strasse, Kunststrasse, and Kapuzinerplanken – Mannheim's main shopping destination
- International Filmfestival Mannheim-Heidelberg
- Wildpark and Waldvogelpark am Karlstern
- The city centre, designed in squares (Quadratestadt)
- Reißinsel, a natural area that an honorary citizen of Mannheim, Carl Reiß, bequeathed to the inhabitants of Mannheim
- Marktplatz (Market place), the square where fresh farmer's market takes place every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers can be purchased
Mannheim became the twin town of Beyoğlu on the 21st of October in 2011.
Within The Scope Of 1st Intercultural Art Dialogues
1-10 June 2010, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
- 5/5 Short Film Festival in Museum of Modern Art Istanbul
- ‘Mannheim Sagt’ Photography Projection Project realized in Galata Tower Square
- POPAKADEMIE Music School Project and Concert at Galata Tower Square Big Stage and Youth Center
- Band The Intersphere Concert at Galata Tower Square Big Stage
- Labelnacht DJ Performance(Nekes-Ray Okpara) at The Hall Venue
Within The Scope Of 2nd Intercultural Art Dialogues
10-20 June 2011, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
- Brassisimo Quintet Concert at Galata Tower Square Big Stage
Mannheim Vertical Photography Exhibition
20 December 2010 - 16 January 2011, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Within the scope of art and cultural cooperations with Mannheim Municipality; Horst Hamann’s ‘Mannheim Vertical’ Photography Exhibition’s opening which was consisiting of photos of Mannheim, took place in Beyoğlu Municipal Art Gallery on December the 20th in 2010.
Official Visit of Beyoğlu Delegation to Mannheim, Twin Town Agreement Ceremony and
‘‘Beyoğlu Sees Mannheim, Mannheim Sees Beyoğlu’’ Photography Exhibition
20October-4 December 2011, Mannheim/Germany
Within the Twin Town Agreement cooperations of the two municipalities, a photography exhibiton was realized in collaboration. ‘‘Beyoğlu Sees Mannheim, Mannheim Sees Beyoğlu’’ photography exhibiton opened in Stadtgalerie Mannheim in October 2011. Turkish photographer Timurtaş Onan and German photographer Horst Hamann has photographed the city of Mannheim and Beyoğlu.
Within The Scope Of 3rd Intercultural Art Dialogues
1-10 June 2012, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
- ‘‘The Faces of Beyoğlu’’Photography Exhibition.
‘‘The Faces of Beyoğlu’’photography exhibition which was a mutual project of Beyoğlu and Mannheim, opened on the 2nd of June 2012 in Beyoğlu Municipality Cihangir Art Gallery. The people who are living in Beyoğlu or passing by Beyoğlu was photographed and exhibited.
- ‘‘Beyoğlu Sees Mannheim, Mannheim Sees Beyoğlu’’ Photography Exhibition.
- Band Amie Concert At Galata Tower Square Big Stage.
‘‘Mannheim Bermuda Shorts’’ International Short Film Festival
20-23 June 2012, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Mannheim’s International Short Film Festiva took place from June 20th through 23th in collaboration with all twin towns of Mannheim. Within the framework of the festival, three short films from Beyoğlu participated. The winner was Ertuğ Tüfekçioğlu’s ‘Love Is Blind’.
Mayor Dr. Peter Kurz and His Delegation’s Official Visit To Beyoğlu
31May-3 June 2010, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Mayor Dr. Peter Kurz and his delegation made an official visit to Beyoğlu within the scope of Beyoğlu Municipality’s Intercultural Art Dialogues. Mayor Kurz and his delegation visited Mayor Demircan in his office and exchanged ideas on future collaborations. The two mayors have participated together to the opening ceremony of Intercultural Art Dialogues. Mayor Kurz and his delegation had the opportunity to be closely acquainted with Beyoğlu and the municipal services of Beyoğlu during their official visit.
19th Turkish Film Festival in Mannheim
7-10 October 2010, Mannheim/Germany
Mayor Ahmet Misbah Demircan and his delegation made an afficial visit to Mannheim and participated to the opening ceremony of 19th Turkish Film Festival which took place on the 8th of October in Mannheim Atlantis Cinema. Mayor of Mannheim Peter Kurz and Consul General of Karlsruhe Çetiner Karahan also participated to the opening ceremony. 14 Turkish films were screened within the scope of the festival.
Mannheim Via Cultus Foundation Visited Mayor Ahmet Misbah Demircan in his office and get a brief information about Istanbul and Beyoğlu
5 May 2011, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Mannheim Delegation’s Official Visit to Beyoğlu
6-11 June 2011, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Official delegation from Mannheim Municipality came to Istanbul from 6th of June through 11th in 2011 for various meetings and the opening of 2nd Intercultural Art Dialogues. They had a very intense schedule during their stay and they had meetings with universities, creative art institıtons, Culinary Institute and art centers.
Mannheim Twin Towns Conference
‘‘Twin Towns of the 21st Century:Economic and Cultural Cooperations’’
12-15 July 2011, Mannheim/Germany
Foreign Affairs Department of Beyoğlu Municipality presented Beyoğlu during the Twin Town Conference of Mannheim Municipality which took place in Mannheim from July 12th through the 15th. Beside Beyoğlu, other twin towns of Mannheim also participated to the conference. The main themes of the conference were; information on smart cities, change management and creative cultures.
Twin town Agreement of Beyoğlu and Mannheim
21 October 2011
Beyoğlu Belediyesi ile Almanya’nın önemli şehirlerinden Mannheim Büyükşehir Belediyesi arasında Kardeşlik Anlaşması Beyoğlu Belediye Başkanı Ahmet Misbah Demircan ve Mannheim Büyükşehir Belediye Başkanı Dr. Peter Kurz tarafından 21 Ekim’de imzalandı. Bu anlaşma, 2008 yılından beri pek çok ortak kültürel işbirliklerini sürdüren iki belediyenin dostluğunu perçinledi. Beyoğlu Belediye Başkanı Ahmet Misbah Demircan, Mannheim Belediye Başkanı Dr. Peter Kurz ve Karlsruhe Başkonsolosu Çetiner Karahan imza töreninde konuşmalarını gerçekleştirdiler. Mannheim’ın önde gelen temsilcilerinden oluşan yaklaşık 200 seçkin davetli huzurunda imzalanan “Kardeşlik Anlaşması” başta Kültür-Sanat, Şehir Planlama, Ekonomi ve Eğitim olmak üzere pek çok konuda işbirliğini öngörüyor. Beyoğlu Belediyesi ve Mannheim Büyükşehir Belediyesi arasında imzalanan Kardeşlik Anlaşması iki önemli kültürel etkinlikle; ‘‘Mannheim Gözüyle Beyoğlu, Beyoğlu Gözüyle Mannheim’’ Fotoğraf sergisi ve 20. Mannheim Türk Film Festivali ile taçlandırıldı.
20th Turkish Film Festival
19-23 October 2011, Mannheim/Germany
20th Turkish Film Festival took place from 19.10.11 through 23.10.11 in CINEPLEX, Odeon ve Atlantis cinemas. Mayor Demircan participated to the opening of the festival with his delegation. Within the framework of their official visit, the delegation had meeting with Dr. Peter Kurz and his colleagues.
Visit from the School Directors from Mannheim
17 March 2012, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Within the framework of the official visits between Mannheim-Beyoğlu, an official delegation which consisted of the Director of National Education of Mannheim and school directors visited to Mayor of Beyoğlu Ahmet Misbah Demircan. During the meeting, Director of National Education of Mannheim and school directors have exchanged their ideas with Mayor Demircan on the projects which can be realized in collaboration with the schools in Beyoğlu.
Mannheim Twin Town Celebrations
20-23 March 2012, Mannheim/Germany
Mannheim Municipality’s 10th year Twin Town Celebrations took place from March 20th through 23th in 2012. Within the scope of the celebrations, Beyoğlu delegation leaded by Mayor’s art consultant Beste Gürsu represented Beyoğlu. Beyoğlu Youth Orchestra members performed Beyoğlu in Mannheim for this special event, gave a concert and fascinated everyone.
The visit of Carl Benz Technical High School Teacher
2-5 April 2012, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Michael Kahmann who is working at Carl Benz Technical High School made a visit to Beyoğlu in April 2012 within the framework of Mannheim-Beyoğlu cooperations. During his visit he had meetings with different technical schools and he also met with Deputy Mayor of Beyoğlu Municipality.
Mayor of Mannheim Dr. Peter Kurz’s and His delegation’s Official Visit to Beyoğlu
31 May-3 June 2012, Beyoğlu/Istanbul
Mayor of Mannheim Dr. Peter Kurz and his delegaiton came to Istanbul on May 31st trough June the 3rd, 2012 as the guest of honor of Mayor Demircan. Mayor Kurz was in Beyoğlu especially for the twin town agreement ceremony which took place in Beyoğlu after the ceremony in Mannheim and for the opening of 3rd Intercultural Art Dialogues.The Twin Town Agreement took place in Beyoğlu Municipal Art Gallery. After the signature ceremony MAyor Demircan and Mayor Kurz opened ‘‘Mannheim Sees Beyoğlu, Beyoğlu Sees Mannheim’’ photography exhibition.
26-29 April 2013, Mannheim/Germany
Mannheim May Fair which has been organised by Mannheim Municipality for 400 years, was realized in 2013 from April 27th through May 7th. It is the biggest fair of the region and Mannheim Municipality had a booth as well. This year the main theme of Mannheim Municipality was twin towns and international cooperations. Therefore it was the day of different twin town each day. The opening day was Beyoğlu Day. For being able present Beyoğlu, Foreign Affairs Department and Beyoğlu Trio participated to the oening of the fair and was on duty on Beyoğlu Day. Beyoğlu and Beyoğlu Municipality promoted whole day and Beyoğlu Trio performed „Beyoğlu Jazz“ in the booth during the day.